Thursday, June 07, 2007

Weather Geek Time

As this is destined to be -- by all local weather reports -- my last day here on this earth, I thought I'd blog about the impending destruction that will ultimately lead to my demise (and to the demise of countless loved ones).

Here's where we stand at just before 11am:

This is courtesy of the Storm Prediction Center. See the middle of that scary HIGH circle? Yeah, that's us.

Here's The Weather Channel's US Thunderstorm Forecast map as of about an hour ago:


I've Google Bookmarked those two pages with the tag 'severe_weather.' I leave them open in their own Firefox tabs and auto-refresh them periodically on days like this.

Oh, yes. Yes, I am a geek.

UPDATE #1

The first watch is out.


...and, as I update, the second.



UPDATE #2 (Storm report count: 3)

Note how the convective outlook has been updated.

More concentrated now, tightening the noose on Central Wisconsin.

UPDATE #3 (Storm report count: 18)

Another watch extends further to the south now.

The line entering WI is looking ripe. Eau Claire and La Crosse are getting whomped as I write this.

UPDATE #4 (Storm report count: 22)

Here's the bad news: By all reports, this appears to only be the beginning. Wave 1 is what's doing the whomping at the moment. Wave 2 is what is apparently getting organized back to the west. Here's the overnight prediction, according to TWC:


UPDATE #5 (Storm report count: 27)

Okay, now it's our turn.


UPDATE #6 (Storm report count: 47)

Well, now it's just plain ugly-looking.

It's been so cloudy here all afternoon, I don't think things have destabilized nearly as much as the liberal media and/or the Bush administration was leading us to believe it would. North and west of us, they're getting the brunt of it. I haven't even heard a clap of thunder here yet. The wind's sure been kicking up an awful fuss, though.

UPDATE #7 (Storm report count: 79)

It's nearly over now....


UPDATE #8 (Storm report count: 152)

Yawn. Still here. What a total bust.

So that proves it. My taking the time to document the certainty of our doom preempted it. You fuckers all owe me.

Homer: "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! Facts, shmacts."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger JA said...

That was fascinating. Seriously! Good to see that some things haven't changed!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

Holy crap are you a dork. But a good one.

I sat there and waited for my roof to be ripped off, but nothing happened where I was.

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home