Saturday, December 03, 2005

Shit Happens when You Party Naked

I just watched Bad Santa for the first time (thanks to an over-a-year-old recommendation from Lisa), and it just made it into my top five X-mas movies, which are as follows:
  1. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
  2. Love Actually*
  3. Bad Santa
  4. It's a Wonderful Life (yeah, but screw you, 'cuz it's a great movie)
  5. Die Hard
A Christmas Story got bumped to #6. Sorry, but I have a hard time identifying with a kid who wants a gun more than anything else in the world. (The fact that it's in my top ten at all is due to the fact that he actually does end up [nearly] shooting his eye out.) A self-destructive, snarky drunk, on the other hand... well, that I can get on board with.

A couple of "facts" about Bad Santa that maybe you didn't know:
  • The first set of scenes were supposed to have taken place in Milwaukee (despite the fact that the only O'Hara's Pub I ever saw was in Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
  • You know the "The Producers would like to thank..." list that appears near the end of the credits (usually after all of the songs)? In Bad Santa, Leonardo DiCaprio was on that list.

*NOTE: Lisa hates this movie

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for the editor's note. I am so thrilled you liked Bad Santa enough to post about it! Isn't the kid who plays Thurman Merman amazing??? Nate and I quote his lines all the time. "On MY head?"

Oh yeah. We definitely need to find you a new Christmas movie to replace Love Actually. My vote is Scrooged...

3:14 PM  
Blogger embiggened said...

Scrooged is hanging on at #10. Love Actually will not easily be unseeded, so you can stop trying. I still think it's brilliant.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

I'm with Lisa. I could not hate Love Actually more.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

See, it's not just me. And having both dated you aside, you KNOW we both have good taste. Love Actually blows, actually. Thanks Ang. Word.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home